Cross-linking generally refers to a process of linking of two websites. No matter whether they’re owned by the same person, the cross-linking is one process where internet is built. This allows the users to reference the websites with the content similar to what they are viewing, or might be of more interest to them. Also, cross-linking serves as an interesting purpose in terms of search engine optimization. The link popularity is the primary factors involved at how the search engines determine its value, relevance, and importance of the websites on the given topic. The calculation is reflected in the website’s search ranking.
Suppose you do this right then cross-linking will:
- Help the search engines to know the structure of your site
- Give some pages on the website a little more authority in the eyes of the search engines
- Improve the relevancy of the pages on your site
Let us say that I needed to make the page relevant to the keyword ‘cross-linking’. We will assume that I have done plenty of things that I must have done for the on-page SEO. The cross-linking has come in a title tag, URL & h1 tag. Also, I mention phrase prominently in the starting of my content, often throughout its piece (however not so high that it gets unreadable) as well as I use both the alternative & related phrases and words so the search engines will see my key subject is the ‘cross-linking’.
Right Way of Cross-Linking
The cross-linking will get you the coveted and inbound links from the related website. However, if you have More than 1 Website, ensure you get maximum advantage.
Content: We all know content is King and you require the best quality of content for ranking well in Google. Make sure that your domain has got unique and original content. For a few reasons in case, you wish to publish the duplicate content, mark page as the no-index. so Google won’t consider this.
Themes: Content of your Website needs to be very distinct and not the main theme! In WordPress, the theme defined as a collection of the templates & style-sheets illustrates the website.
User Experience: The user experience is very important. This is your main purpose here. You need to keep the website fast & use software to enhance the experience of your user. Keep the important content over the fold and collect feedback from the customers & make all necessary changes.
Anchor Text: In the Cross-Linking, you need to connect the websites with the keyword that have rich anchor text & alt text of images. The anchor text is visible and clickable text in the hyperlink. The search engines love that and enhance the user experience. Many people use anchor texts for knowing where they will go next in case they click on a link.
Keep natural: Place your links only where they fit naturally in your website. It is important, in case you cross-linking does not appear very natural to the search engines, then they will penalize your site. Just keep the websites separate in eyes of your search engines.
Vital elements in the Crosslinking!
Some important elements that you need to consider include:
- IP address: Try hosting the two websites through various IP addresses that are because if search engines pick up on a fact that the websites have got a common IP address, probably they would not penalize for the cross-linking.
- Link Affiliation: Suppose your motive was to cross-link the website and this is why you created the websites, don’t forget that the search engines are quite smart. They can get to know and can penalize you.
- No Spamming: Never spam, even though it’s your website. Never link each page & try to keep links to the minimum.