Decoupling the front end (the storefront) and back end (the eCommerce functionalities) is the essence of headless commerce. You have complete […]By Aayush
Tags have progressed to the point that they are crucial to the activation of actions that trigger background processing, which in turn performs complex functions like tracking and live chat. Tag managers’ most appealing quality is the streamlined and user-friendly interface they give consumers for monitoring, as they normally wrap code behind the scenes.
The tag managers on this list played a crucial role in developing the modern web. There are other alternatives to Google Tag Manager (GTM), though it is among the most popular. If you’re looking for an affordable option that could meet your needs, there are a number of good substitutes for GTM. While there is no shortage of comparison matrices, GTM has compiled a list of the ten best options.
Why need Google Tag Manager?
For digital marketers, web developers, and business owners who wish to manage and deploy website tags in an efficient manner, Google Tag Manager (GTM) has evolved into an indispensable tool. You might require Google Tag Manager for a number of reasons, including the following:
Simple Tag Management
Easy updates, fast deployment
You may make rapid changes on the GTM dashboard. Being agile allows you to respond quickly to shifts in the market and the needs of your company.
Improved Website Speed
Websites can load faster using GTM since it can load tags asynchronously. This is crucial for both search engine optimization and the user experience.
Debugging and Testing Features
Due to GTM’s built-in debugging and error-checking capabilities, you may test tags before they go live. This helps to reduce the frequency of data collection problems.
Without the need for human coding, advanced tracking may be achieved with GTM, which enables deeper insights into user activities, such as event tracking, button clicks, and form submissions.
Ensuring compliance with GDPR is made easier with GTM’s built-in capabilities. Better data governance goals are within reach when tag firing and data sending can be easily controlled.
Working Together and Version Control
With a GTM account, users may collaborate on projects and track who made what modifications to different versions. Having an audit trail is useful for large teams and organizations.
By implementing triggers and variables, you can have finer control and content customization over tag execution.
Easy Third-Party Integrations
GTM supports a wide variety of third-party tags, which simplifies the process of integrating marketing and analytics tools.
By reducing the amount of time and resources spent on manual coding, Free GTM helps save money over time.
Having an understanding of these features may assist you in determining whether or not Google Tag Manager is the best option for managing tags on your website.
Pros of Google Tag Manager: Where It Shines
When it comes to tag deployments and administration, Google Tag Manager provides a platform that is not only user-friendly but also intuitive, hence removing the requirement for technical coding. After it has been set up, GTM is simple to use; even marketers who are not technically savvy are able to enable tags and test each adjustment without the assistance of the computer technology team.
- When it comes to tag deployments and administration, Google Tag Manager provides a platform that is not only user-friendly but also intuitive, hence removing the requirement for technical coding. After it has been set up, GTM is simple to use; even marketers who are not technically savvy are able to enable tags and test each adjustment without the assistance of the computer technology team.
- Through the utilization of a unified interface, GTM streamlines the entire process of tag management, allowing for the rapid deployment of any number and type of tags. The speed at which a page loads is not affected in any way by the management of all the titles that are accessible from a single place.
- The deployment process is streamlined and error-free, which not only saves time but also greatly improves the accuracy of data tracking and administration. The capability of GTM to regulate and customize tags, as well as to generate individualized events in accordance with particular criteria, is still another key advantage of this technology.
- Through its ability to facilitate interaction with third-party applications, it enables collaboration with other strong tools, thereby elevating tracking and administration on a single platform.
- Both the access control and version control features of GTM offer enhanced supervision of tags and added simplicity to the process. To regulate the alterations that are done using tag creations, macros, and rule modifications, one may easily designate certain user rights and control the adjustments that are produced. When it comes to version management, GTM makes it simple to revert to an earlier version, which eliminates any issues that may arise with fresh installations.
- Google Tag Manager is a tool that can be learned and mastered by anyone, thanks to the abundant online documentation. In addition, it is totally free; that is correct, totally free.
Cons of Google Tag Manager: Where It Falls Behind
GTM was developed with the intention of democratizing the power of tag management and making it possible for the majority of people to enjoy the benefits of a simpler tracking solution.
On the other hand, there are situations in which GTM can be pushed to its boundaries, which can lead to results that are slightly biased. “These situations can be problematic, particularly in industries where data accuracy is of the utmost importance,” says one of the SEO professionals at Serp Wizard, a digital marketing agency in Jaipur that works with varied clients across all areas. He gave insights on the issues that are faced. A few of the challenging regions that he faced along the journey are as follows:
- Not a DIY-Level Tool: Despite its purported ability to streamline tag administration, GTM is not a do-it-yourself (DIY) tool. It requires technical expertise to accomplish perfect execution. Problems with invisibility accuracy can also arise from accidental tag deployments or misconfigurations. Failure to have a committed support team accessible to seek help increases the likelihood of delays and difficulties that are difficult to resolve.
- Difficulties in Implementing Complex E-commerce Setups: GTM may face challenges when trying to deploy more advanced e-commerce tracking settings. Data can be distorted by customized data layers and event triggers, especially when dealing with massive amounts of data.
- Lack of Reporting Capabilities: Despite GTM’s great tag management and data collection features, it’s missing the mark when it comes to built-in report generation. Customers seeking an all-inclusive tag management and reporting solution may find the fact that users may need to depend on third-party programs to generate comprehensive reports to be a drawback.
Why search elsewhere?
In spite of its widespread use, GTM might not be suitable for everyone. Some businesses place high importance on privacy and hope to find a solution that does not reveal any information. Some people demand more sophisticated functionality or a user interface that is simpler.
GTM Alternative 1: Semrush
Consider adding Semrush to your marketing toolkit for helpful insights on your website and competition. Semrush tracks more than keyword rankings, backlinks, and content gaps. You can also study competitors’ keywords, traffic, and more.
Semrush’s Traffic Analytics tool assesses website visits, unique visitors, page views, average visit time, bounce rate, and device data. It even provides demographic breakdowns to help you understand a website’s audience.
This provides unprecedented insights into each user’s traffic path and the other websites they visit.
Monitor competitors’ traffic and interaction.
Find user interests and brand preferences.
Use the Backlink Analytics tool to analyze your website’s and competitors’ backlink profiles.
Find profitable keywords and track Google ranks.
Stay compliant with GDPR.
A complete SEO toolkit
GTM Alternative 2: CustomerLab’s Action Recorder
First place goes to Customer Lab’s Action recorder because of how effective it is despite its simplicity. The no-code tag manager makes it easy to monitor user activity on any page of your site with the touch of a button.
How to install: It is not necessary for a developer to integrate Action Recorder, which is the basic core of its implementation. Your setup will be complete once you add the script. You can then adjust your marketing tactics based on the data you acquire from tracking client behavior or reactions when you click on the area you wish to monitor.
Tracking form submissions, button clicks, and page views has never been easier than with Action Recorder—all without writing code. You can shift your focus from the background to the product side, which opens up a world of possibility.
Your creative ability will be enhanced when you are not dependent on the developers. Its user-friendliness increases with use, allowing you to craft complex tags that delve deeply into site visitors’ actions.
GTM Alternative 3: Clicky
This privacy-friendly analytics program, Clicky, is a popular alternative to Google Analytics due to its simple installation and ease of use. The tool’s real-time traffic metrics and heatmap tracking show the user’s journey on your site.
Besides heatmap monitoring, Clicky is a quantitative analytics tool that offers most of the same indicators as Google Analytics and others on this list.
Clicky ranks high among Google Analytics alternatives despite its early 2000s-style webpage.
Track with heatmaps
Mobile compatibility allows phone use.
Maintain GDPR compliance
GTM Alternative 4: IBM DDX
As an element of IBM’s digital analytics portfolio, Digital Data Exchange and IBM WebSphere form an ideal ecosystem for monitoring site activity.
How does IBM DDX work?
Through the use of WebSphere commerce analytics tags, data regarding consumer behavior could be gathered. After that, IBM Digital Data Exchange receives these records. Once DDX receives the data, it will transmit it to several analytics frameworks, including IBM TeaLeaf, IBM Digital Analytics, and its larger component.
How to install it?
Due to its centrality, DDX cannot be launched before the shop is integrated with IBM Digital Analytics.
Once the integration is complete, you can change the biConfig.xml file. To make the site DDX-capable, this is a must-have.
To use DDX, edit the attribute of the <bitprovider> tag.
You will also be responsible for updating the output settings based on the information you have, which may include client ID, data collection method, analytics provider site, WebSphere commerce server, and more.
Close the file and save it.
So, the Digital Data Exchange is now active.
GTM Alternative 5: Matomo
Matomo is an open-source, privacy-focused web analytics tool that monitors website traffic and user behavior. It offers metrics reporting among the most popular analytics tools on this list. Over 1.4 million websites in 190 countries utilize it.
Matomo delivers heatmaps, session records, SEO keyword reporting, A/B testing, and most of Google Analytics. The platform complies with privacy rules, including GDPR and CCPA.
According to Matomo, its strict compliance with these and other privacy rules allows you to utilize the site without disclosures or user consent. Easy Google Analytics migration is also possible with Matomo—importing old Google Analytics data into the platform.
Do not sample data. Matomo tracks all user data for precise results, unlike Google Analytics.
Own your data. 100% of Matomo’s data is yours.
Keep GDPR and CCPA compliant.
Heatmaps and session recordings are available.
Google Analytics historical data import
GTM Alternative 6: Piwik Pro
Piwik Pro includes the option to deploy the solution on their own infrastructure or on their cloud. Even a first-time user can learn to use tags effectively with this intuitive tag manager, which has extra security and improved privacy. With Piwik Pro, you get the benefit of:
- The process of deploying and managing is straightforward and easy to use.
- You have the option to use customized tags in addition to the built-in tags.
- Thorough testing can be carried out prior to deployment.
How to install:
When you sign up for Piwik Pro, you’ll receive a code that you can use to integrate it with your site.
If the tag is asynchronous, you should copy and paste the codes directly under the <body> tag, and if it is not, you should paste them under the <head> tag.
GTM Alternative 7: ImpactHero
ImpactHero is an AI-powered application that analyzes customer journey stages, identifies powerful content, and provides advice for improving content performance.
Begin by adding the tracking code to all site pages using Google Tag Manager. ImpactHero then suggests ways to improve your content strategy at each stage. Analyze the client journey by traffic source to determine your best channels. Then, learn which content works best. The tool shows content kind (list or how-to) and length.
This can help you choose future content types. Use the Analytics Report to see which content works best.
Make use of a content marketing team tool.
Find successful content and adjust it to client journey stages.
Find out where uses are declining to strengthen weak points.
Measure your content pages’ financial impact.
You can examine more pages faster by seeing only the info you need.
GTM Alternative 8: TagCommander
By taking care of its life cycle in a way that surpasses the norms of tag management, tagCommander is able to shine and reap additional benefits. In addition to having 800+ digital marketing solutions at your fingertips with tagCommander, this robust tool allows you to manage the whole life cycle of selecting, editing, applying rules, generating, testing, and deploying with proper optimization. You can use it to drive many common activities on your site.
How to install: The specifics of installing TagCommander may vary slightly based on your intended outcome, but the underlying idea is always the same. Here are some steps to take when utilizing TagCommander with the Facebook pixel:
- Click on “Add Container” in the Tag Commander and then name it.
- After that, select the language you wish to support.
- In the subsequent phase, you can set it up if you desire synchronization.
- Choose Facebook by clicking “Add Tags” on the subsequent page.
- Click on Facebook and then choose Custom Audience (BUILDER).
- In order to choose Facebook Pixel, click on “Add tags.” A drop-down menu will then appear.
- To save, input your Facebook ID and hit the save button.
Now, you may set up the Facebook pixel using TagCommander.
GTM Alternative 9: Heap
Using digital insights and analytics, Heap evaluates customer behavior at scale for products. You may learn how and why clients use your website. Identify user journey or conversion funnel trouble spots.
Heap tracks page views, events, and engagement. Following its acquisition of Auryc, it began offering digital experience insights, including heatmaps and session recording. Heap automates data collecting, so event tracking is built into the platform and requires little setup.
Heap has a steeper learning curve than other tools on this list. It’s also expensive.
Get powerful product and behavioral analytics
Experience automated event data capture to track and analyze every user interaction on your website.
Use advanced segmentation and reporting.
Use heatmaps and session recordings.
Maintain GDPR compliance
GTM Alternative 10: Ensighten
Ensighten prioritizes security and privacy as an enterprise tag management solution. An enterprise-level tag management system that places a premium on “ownership” is usually necessary when dealing with sensitive data. Ensighten is an indispensable tool with features like redundant data centers, on-demand deployment, and the ability to fine-tune complicated tags.
How to install: The most convenient way to install Ensighten is using the Cocoapods installation method. Installing the default Ruby on macOS will allow you to install the CocoaPods framework, which is created with Ruby.
The first step is to use the pod repo update to update the cocoapod repository.
Following that, insert the command pod ‘Ensighten’ into your pod file to include it.
Launch the terminal and type pod installs.
You have now installed Ensighten, which allows you to create complex tags.
Pick the Right Google Analytics Alternative
Many alternatives to Google Analytics exist for various reasons. Finding an analytics tool that fits your objectives and budget is crucial.
Consider Semrush for online analytics that cover both your business and competitors’ performance. Semrush’s Traffic Analytics tool provides instant access to competitors’ analytics data. Simply enter their domain and click “Analyze.” In the “Overview” page, the tool displays key metrics.
You can also examine audience demographics, traffic channels, popular web pages, and more.